Thursday, November 6, 2008

As the Shock Wears Off....

Well, as the shock begins to wear off, I have dried my tears...put away the sackcloth....and thrown out the ashes. I don't know exactly at what point it happened, but somewhere along the way, peace began to settle down on my spirit. I still think the same things I thought before. I'm still certain that America made the wrong choice. I'm still broken-hearted at the shallow "image over substance" majority. But I have made my peace with it.

When you're an interested voter, with an ear always open to the political grapevine, your children tend to pick up on such things. The kiddos in this house were not unaware of who was running and why we supported one over the other. (on a child's level). After learning of our "loss", they were doing raspberries with their tongues, and making their displeasure clear. Today, I found the strength in me to tell them in a firm voice, that that would be the end of such expressions. This man is now our president, and we will give him the respect that the office deserves. We will pray for this man. And even if/when he disappoints us, and breaks our hearts with the decisions he makes, we will still respect his office. And we will pray for him. When tempted to fear over directions we feel ourselves moving, we will show respect. And we will pray for him. My readers may recall that I had questioned myself for months if I would have the strength in me for this resolve. I honestly feared that I would become like the Bush-haters, only the on the opposite side. I was so glad to hear myself say those words to my kids...and know that deep down, I did mean them!

I know I will probably have moments when I lapse back into mourning; but in spite of it all, today I still feel like an American. On Tuesday night, Wednesday morning....I wasn't so sure. I was too fearful that my voice (and the voices of millions who believe as I do) were lost forever in the drowning chorus for change. When I stepped out my front door, the world already felt like a different place. But when the peace came, that notion of un-belonging fled. This is still my country. She's faced many challenges before. And she's failed at some of them, too.

I really do believe that Christians, conservatives, basic moral folk, etc., etc., can be lulled into a complacency in life. When we have a few elections go our way, have a few court cases go our way, see a few ballot measures turn out favorable to our causes...we tend to sit back and relax. Just assume that maybe we're not facing that big of a battle after all. I've been guilty of that myself. Just convince myself that maybe things aren't that bad...it's just the media putting that spin on it, right? Well, no more. I do believe this is the opportunity for our prayers to be consistent and fervent. Time for our prayers to have legs. Time to realize that righteousness is not the natural way of men....it's a choice and a decision that we make. And it's our job to set the example. To live the way.

And that's what I intend to do.

7 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Very good Post, Tara...AMEN!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. We changed computers and I lost your blog address, so a few weeks ago I was searching for your blog address. I'm glad to have it again.

Here is that recipe that you requested.
~Taste of Home Cappuccino Muffins~
=)
In large bowl, mix together:
2 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teas. baking powder
1 1/2 teas. cinnamon
3/4 teas. salt
1/2 teas. baking soda
In Med. sized bowl mix together until coffee is dissolved:
1 egg
1 1/3 cup buttermilk (I made my own w/ 1 1/2 Tab. vinegar & the 1 1/3 c. milk! Mix together, and let stand for a few minutes, before mixing in the rest of the ingred.)
3 Tab. oil
4 1/2 teas. instant coffee granules
2 teas. vanilla
Add the liquids with the dry ingred. and stir just until moistened.
Use 12 chocolate kisses to hide inside the muffins, OR I LIKED STIRRING CHOC. CHIPS INTO THE BATTER...YUM! (for the muffin was a little dry, but with moist choc. chips each bite...it was delicious!)
Topping: cinn/sugar
Place dough into muffin cups (can place a little dough and then a hershey kiss, then more dough to cover it, or just put the dough with the choc. chips in the muffin cups). Sprinkle the tops lightly with cinn/sugar and bake at 425 for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick is clean!
Makes about 12 YUMMY muffins! =) ~BEST IF SERVED WARM~

Tara said...

Thank you, thank you Heather! I will have a very happy family! :)

Faithe said...

GREAT POST!!! That's just the way I feel, but you've expressed it so much better than I ever could. I enjoy reading your blogs, keeping up with you guys. Keep 'em coming!

lauralavon said...

Amen, sister! I'm with you. I intend to keep praying, and then I will do whatever I can in my little corner of the world to keep learning and promoting what I believe to be truth and wisdom. Appreciate you.

Kimberly said...

when I made these muffins of Heather's I accidentally put in about 3xs the amt. of coffee...so be careful. But then again coffee makes everything (even politics) more tolerable!:)

I wasn't shocked...was a bit highstrung on Mon. but kept busy Tues. Glad it's over and trusting for the best outcomes possible. Cheer up...w/ the economic junk, there will be less probability of him making sweeping social change.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts on complacency are so true. May we remember that we are strangers and pilgrims here. It's not supposed to feel too comfy! Miss you, friend.

Marty said...

I decided to have a baby and ignore the whole political scene!! Just joking! I look at her and I forget all about the recent changes in our country and focus on the changes in my own home...Is this the right approach? No, but it works for me at the moment with every thing going on! Hopefully, I can keep up with blogging a little better now that Emma is born.