Thursday, April 26, 2007

Treading Out The Grain

I didn't grow up in farmer's territory. I really don't know much about living in the country and off the land. After nearly 8 yrs of living in KY, however, I do have a new appreciation for the hard-working life of the farmer. Last night in our Wednesday Bible Study, we continued our look into the book of Hosea. Not an easy book to work through in a lot of ways. But when we got to ch. 10, vs. 11, it really hit home to me more than in the past. I love a good word picture, you know. And having farmers involved in the discussion was a real asset!

The New Living Translation puts vs. 11 this way: "Israel (Ephraim)is like a trained heifer accustomed to treading out the grain-an easy job that she loves. Now I will put a heavy yoke on her tender neck. I will drive her in front of the plow. Israel and Judah must now break up the hard ground; their days of ease are gone. I said, 'Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of my love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the Lord, that he may come and shower righteousness upon you.'"

When I heard them discussing the process of treading out the grain, something in me just responded. They described the cattle as standing in a circuluar "pen" of sorts. Hitched together, and slowly just walking in circles with the grain beneath their feet. Over and Over. Round and Round. This translation says 'that's an easy job that you love'! Going through the motions, so to speak! And compared to the difficult, back-breaking work of breaking up hardened ground, who wouldn't love to just 'tread grain'.

So, I may not be able to write it down this morning exactly the way I'm feeling it, and it certainly isn't any great theological or profound truth: but I do know that I don't want to spend my life just treading grain. There's a time for that, to be sure. But there must also be the time for doing the hard work of introspection. Making sure that the ground of my heart is soft and viable for the seed of HIS righteousness that I might bear fruit.

And it also comes to mind that this passage in Hosea is referring to God's punishment against Israel for their continued disobedience and idolatry. But in the New Testament Jesus invites us, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me. For I am meek and lowly in heart. And you will find rest for your souls."

Given that loving invitation, how can I do anything else?

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

Really good thoughts, Tara...I have also been thinking of the risk of "hardened hearts" and you're right...the loving invitation of the Lord is the ultimate guard against that happening. Hope your week is coming to a good end. Much Love!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Tara! Thanks for the thought provoking blog. Love ya!

Marty said...

Wow! Great thoughts, Tara! You did very well expressina a great new perspective on that scripture! By the way, anyone heard from Jani?

Kelly S said...

This was really good Tara. You always have been good at writing. I remember sitting by you in Mr. Rosa's class and being very intimidated. We would have to write and then read what we wrote. Yours was always so good and mine was always pitiful! Mr. Rosa told me you were one of the best in the class:)

By the way, I started a new blog with blogspot. People can't leave comments on my old one unless they have a Yahoo account, so my new one is www.kellystamper.blogspot.com. Now mine is the lonely one, so come visit me - and now you can put me on your friends/links list :)

The Dickinsons said...

Hey Tara, some good thoughts!

Love, Heather

Bryan and Marsha said...

Hello Tara! I am so happy to have "caught" up on your lives! Congrats on the little one! Your children are getting so big! Beautiful family!
I loved your thoughts on Hosea. I want God to keep my heart soft and opened continually for Him!

Tara said...

Marty,

YES! I have heard from Jani. I was so happy to get an email from her this week; they moved and have new #. If you didn't get an email, let me know and I'll forward it on to you!

Tara said...

Kelly,

You are a flatterer! Thank you for your kind words. Ah, yes, how well I remember Mr. Rosa's class....wasn't Tim C. the culprit in that class?!?

kayla said...

I loved this post. I told Harold that he should steal your thoughts for a Sunday School lesson.
How's that for a comment?

Tara said...

Thank you, Kayla! I was so surprised to receive a comment from you! I had no idea.......!

Kelly S said...

Tim C? I forget.